Let’s taste wine!! The best way to learn about wine is to taste a lot of wine. I know, I know, what a chore in the pursuit of education. But, it’s just a necessary part of the process. 🥂 Here’s a round-up of the best red wines under $20 you can pick up at Target or a grocery store. Ok, there may be some that are a little over $20 but I included them anyway because they can be your splurge purchase.
- A tip on picking wine in the grocery store
- Recommendations for the best Red Wines under $20
- Cabernet Sauvignon Picks
- Pinot Noir Picks
- Red Blends
- Red Wines a little more than $20
A tip on picking wine in the grocery store
Go for the brands that have expensive wines, too. When a winery has a range of high end and affordable wines in their portfolio, it usually means they have a high quality product. Some of our favorites include Rodney Strong, Daou, Coppola, and Justin. (Video at the top taken at a Justin wine tasting!) These brands all have expensive, highly rated wines in addition to the affordable options included in this list!
Recommendations for the best Red Wines under $20
These are all popular brands you can pick up at Target, Total Wine, or your local grocery store. All are excellent wines for the price! Started out with a list of 10, then added a few bonus picks!
Cabernet Sauvignon Picks
- Rodney Strong Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $17.99 • an excellent choice for steak and baked potato night.
- Rodney Strong Sonoma Cabernet • $12.47 • I love Rodney Strong wines, what can I say? This is a gone one to keep stocked for dinner.
- 14 Hands Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $11.99 • an easy-drinking Cab
- Francis Coppola Diamond Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $17.99 • Open this one up with Italian takeout. Like wood-fired pizza. Or an old-school Italian dish like broccoli and sausage pasta.
- Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $18.99 • like an old best friend, this wine opens up immediately and is comfortable in about every situation – formal dinner, casual dinner, or happy hour. A go-to Cab for any occasion!
- Francis Coppola Director’s Cut Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $17.99 • Put on The Godfather, cook pasta, and enjoy this Coppola Cab.
- Francis Coppola Diamond Claret Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $17.99 Smooth and rich, a great wine to drink with something rustic and earthy like a mushroom risotto or a braised short rib.
- Josh Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $15.99 • A mix of toasted oak and blackberries make this an excellent wine for something tangy like a mustard pork with braised cabbage.
- Wente Cabernet Estate is an excellent selection for a grilled burger. Related blog post: 3 outstanding Wente wines to try
Pinot Noir Picks
- Erath Pinot Noir • $15.99 • When you’re in the mood for a Pinot, Erath is a good one to open. I personally love a Pinot with cheese and bread, but also a good choice if you’re having grilled chicken.
- Meiomi Pinot Noir • $11.49 • This is a crowd-pleaser! Definitely one to try.
- 19 Crimes Snoop Cali Red Blend Wine – 750ml Bottle • $12.99 • Because it’s Snoop. And the wine is great, too! Related blog post: Pair Snoop Cali Red with a slouchy sweater, Mythic Quest, and your favorite candle.
- Z. Alexander Brown Red Blend Wine • $15.99 • Like a pair of jeans that fit just right… pair this with comfort food and comfortable jeans. This is one of my go-to wines.
- Layer Cake Malbec • $13.99 • This Argentinine wine is an excellent example of a wine that doesn’t need to be astronomically expensive to be excellent. Tastes like an elegant blend of blackberries and chocolate. Serve with an elaborate charcuterie board. Drink with fun friends on a Friday winter evening paired with the smooth but fun Latin Jazz Apple Playlist.
Red Wines a little more than $20
- Rodney Strong Alexander Valley Cab • $21.99 This is my go-to Cab. I love Alexander Valley wines.
- Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $20.99 Decoy is a brand of the high-end Duckhorn. This is just as good with steak as it is with Stouffer’s lasagna. Keep your eye out for this one on sale!
- Justin Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $22.99 Justin’s Isosceles is an iconic high-end wine, which has been served at the White House and won plenty of accolades.
- DAOU Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $25.99 • This is an outstanding bottle of wine for the price. Related post: Check out photos of our visit to Daou in Paso Robles Wine Country in California
Happy tasting, y’all! Share your favorite go-to red wines in the comments 🍷