Let’s taste wine!! The best way to learn about wine is to taste a lot of wine. I know, I know, what a chore in the pursuit of education. But, it’s just a necessary part of the process. 🥂 Here’s a round-up of the best red wines under $20 you can pick up at Target or a grocery store. Ok, there may be some that are a little over $20 but I included them anyway because they can be your splurge purchase.
A tip on picking wine in the grocery store: go for the brands that have expensive wines, too. When a winery has a range of high end and affordable wines in their portfolio, it usually means they have a high quality product. Some of our favorites include Rodney Strong, Daou, Coppola, and Justin. (Video at the top taken at a Justin wine tasting!) These brands all have expensive, highly rated wines in addition to the affordable options included in this list!
Recommendations for the best Red Wines under $20
These are all popular brands you can pick up at Target or your local grocery store. All are excellent wines for the price!
- Rodney Strong Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $17.99 • an excellent choice for steak and baked potato night.
- 14 Hands Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $11.99 • an easy-drinking Cab
- Francis Coppola Diamond Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $17.99 • Open this one up with Italian takeout. Like wood-fired pizza. Or an old-school Italian dish like broccoli and sausage pasta.
- Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $18.99 • like an old best friend, this wine opens up immediately and is comfortable in about every situation – formal dinner, casual dinner, or happy hour. A go-to Cab for any occasion!
- Francis Coppola Director’s Cut Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $17.99 • Put on The Godfather, cook pasta, and enjoy this Coppola Cab.
- Francis Coppola Diamond Claret Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $17.99 Smooth and rich, a great wine to drink with something rustic and earthy like a mushroom risotto or a braised short rib.
- Josh Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $15.99 • A mix of toasted oak and blackberries make this an excellent wine for something tangy like a mustard pork with braised cabbage.
- 19 Crimes Snoop Cali Red Blend Wine – 750ml Bottle • $12.99 • Because it’s Snoop. And the wine is great, too! Related blog post: Pair Snoop Cali Red with a slouchy sweater, Mythic Quest, and your favorite candle.
- Z. Alexander Brown Red Blend Wine • $15.99 • Like a pair of jeans that fit just right… pair this with comfort food and comfortable jeans. This is one of my go-to wines.
- Wente Cabernet Estate is an excellent selection for a grilled burger. Related blog post: 3 outstanding Wente wines to try
Red Wines a little more than $20
- Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $20.99 Decoy is a brand of the high-end Duckhorn. This is just as good with steak as it is with Stouffer’s lasagna. Keep your eye out for this one on sale!
- Justin Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $22.99 Justin’s Isosceles is an iconic high-end wine, which has been served at the White House and won plenty of accolades.
- DAOU Cabernet Sauvignon Red Wine • $25.99 • This is an outstanding bottle of wine for the price. Related post: Check out photos of our visit to Daou in Paso Robles Wine Country in California
Happy tasting, y’all! Share your favorite go-to red wines in the comments 🍷