Caramelized onions just make every recipe delicious, right? Bon Appétit’s Caramelized onions recipe notes you can keep them in the fridge for a week. So, go ahead and make extra to use in other recipes. This is the easiest butternut squash soup with caramelized onions recipe you can find, I promise. The secret ingredient is mixing in better than bouillon at the end.
Reheated, this soup is so good you’ll eat it for breakfast. Seriously, I ate it for breakfast with coffee one morning. True story.
You’d think this was a creamy soup, but you don’t need cream. It’s just that good on it’s own. That’s why this is a good soup to make for work lunches – it’s easy to reheat in the microwave, and is filling enough on it’s own. You could certainly pack bread or a sandwich to go with it, but the soup is excellent by itself.
Butternut Squash Soup with Caramelized Onions Recipe
Butternut Squash Soup with Caramelized Onions RecipeCourse: SoupsDifficulty: Easy
2 lbs butternut squash cubed
1 large onion
teaspoon 1 of balsamic
sprinkle of sugar
2 cups chicken stock
1 tablespoon chicken better than boullion
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Caramelize onions in butter and olive oil on super low for about 45 minutes. Optional: at the end add balsamic vinegar or after 15 min add sugar.
- Toss butternut squash in olive oil, and roast at 400 for about 30 minutes.
- Add garlic to the onions at the end. Sauté for about a minute.
- Add roasted butternut squash to pot with onions.
- Add chicken stock, bring to a boil.
- Add some thyme.
- Stir in better than boullion.
- Salt to taste.
- Blend with an emulsifier or a blender.
- Save a few minutes and get pre-cubed butternut squash from Costco or your local grocery store!
More make-ahead lunches to reheat at work:
- Fancy picnic recipes make your desk lunch less boring
- And also the best cheap meal prep containers
- A to-die-for burrata salad recipe you could easily prep for lunch
- Chicken wrap with goddess dressing
- Plus inexpensive kitchen gadgets to help with your meal prep
- And the best meal planning app so you can save all of your favorite recipes in one place