Caramelized onions just make every recipe delicious, right? Bon Appétit’s Caramelized onions recipe notes you can keep them in the fridge for a week. So, go ahead and make extra to use in other recipes. This is the easiest butternut squash soup with caramelized onions recipe you can find, I promise. The secret ingredient is mixing in better than bouillon at the end.
Reheated, this soup is so good you’ll eat it for breakfast. Seriously, I ate it for breakfast with coffee one morning. True story.
You’d think this was a creamy soup, but you don’t need cream. It’s just that good on it’s own. That’s why this is a good soup to make for work lunches – it’s easy to reheat in the microwave, and is filling enough on it’s own. You could certainly pack bread or a sandwich to go with it, but the soup is excellent by itself.
Butternut Squash Soup Wine Pairings
- Chardonnay: the mild sweet flavors pair well with a creamy Chardonnay, like a Chalk Hill Chardonnay, Jordan, or Simi
- Sparkling: Gloria Ferrer Sparkling + Soup is a cozy night in!
- 2 lbs butternut squash cubed
- 1 large onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic
- sprinkle of sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock
- tablespoon chicken better than boullion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- teaspoon garlic
Caramelize onions in butter and olive oil on low for about 45 minutes. Optional: at the end add balsamic vinegar or after 15 min add sugar.
Toss butternut squash in olive oil, and roast at 400 for about 30 minutes.
Add garlic to the onions at the end. Sauté for about a minute.
Add roasted butternut squash to pot with onions.
Add chicken stock, bring to a boil.
Stir in better than boullion.
Salt to taste.
Blend with an emulsifier or a blender.
Save a few minutes and get pre-cubed butternut squash from Costco or your local grocery store!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 121Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 174mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
- Fancy picnic recipes make your desk lunch less boring
- And also the best cheap meal prep containers
- A to-die-for burrata salad recipe you could easily prep for lunch
- Chicken wrap with goddess dressing
- Plus inexpensive kitchen gadgets to help with your meal prep
- And the best meal planning app so you can save all of your favorite recipes in one place