“ONLY TWO THINGS THAT MONEY CAN’T BUYFROM “HOMEGROWN TOMATOES” BY THE BLUE DOGS
THAT’S TRUE LOVE AND HOME GROWN TOMATOES”
If you agree with the Blue Dogs about home grown tomatoes, you’ll LOVE this tomato pie recipe.
I’ve made tomato pie many different ways but this version is my absolute favorite, and it all came together accidentally. I made tomato pie last week with fresh buffalo mozzarella, but when I searched the fridge for it today, I realized it had been thrown out. I had pimento cheese in the fridge, and that was that. Apparently this concept resonated with my instagram friends because I got a lot of “likes” on the post. So here is the recipe, y’all, and it is SO easy: Pimento Cheese Tomato Pie Recipe. Why didn’t I think of it before? It takes about 10 minutes to assemble and is absolutely delicious.
Easy Pimento Cheese Tomato Pie Recipe
- Pie crust (I used store bought. If you have all of the time in the world and prefer your own homemade pie crust, go for it.)
- 3 – 5 Medium Tomatoes
- 1/2 vidalia onion
- Fresh basil (to taste – I chopped up about 1/2 tablespoon)
- Store bought or homemade pimento cheese
- Dukes Mayonaise (I don’t measure – a few swirls on top, maybe 2 tablespoons)
- Slice the tomatoes and let them sit out on a paper towel to dry out a little bit. I put salt and pepper on them.
- Slice the vidalia onion. Some people like to saute it first. I didn’t. I like it a little crunchy.
- Optional: Also some people bake the pie for a little bit – but I didn’t, I like the doughy texture with the tomato mixture, but a little crunchy would probably be good, too.
- Chop up basil.
- After the tomatoes have dried out a little (5 or 10 minutes is enough) chop them up.
- Mix: tomatoes, onion, basil and mayo. I did a drizzle of mayo on top and mixed until it was all coated. Probably about 2 tablespoons, but you could always make it creamier. Dukes Mayo is always a good idea when tomatoes are involved.
- Dump it all in the pie crust.
- Add the Pimento cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Pie crust should be crispy and cheese should be melted.