This is not your average quesadilla. It is insanely delicious. Like serve at a dinner party to wow your friends kind of delicious. The magic is the spicy sauce. Also, this chicken adobo recipe is ready quickly – and it would be great on top of rice or with a side of black beans or in a taco. But you just can’t beat a quesadilla with a crispy corn tortilla and melted cheese. 😋
This recipe is a spin-off of a short rib taco recipe from Sam the Cooking Guy. Short ribs undoubtably would be better, but this version is a great weeknight alternative.
I do plan on trying the short rib recipe one day, but it includes two obscure peppers I couldn’t find in three different grocery stores. So, chicken! This is really about the sauce. Even though it lacks a few of the fancy ingredients from the original, the sauce is smoky and spicy and full of flavor you’d expect to find in a fancy Mexican restaurant. It just requires mixing beef stock, a can of fire-roasted tomatoes, some spices, and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce – all standard ingredients you can find in the store.
Chicken Abobo recipe
This recipe turns the chicken adobo into a quesadilla, but you could easily make it to serve over rice or a taco or over beans or as a taquito… it’s really just that good!
Easy Chicken Adobo Quesadilla RecipeCourse: DinnerCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
2 pounds chicken tenderloins (or chicken breasts would be find, too)
1 thinly sliced onion
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
6 cloves garlic, minced
14 oz. Fire roasted tomatoes
2 Chipotles in adobo sauce
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons coriander
2 cups beef broth
Monterrey Jack cheese
Cilantro (to garnish)
Chopped red onion (to garnish)
White corn tortillas
- Sear chicken tenderloins in olive oil.
- Sauté onions in olive oil.
- When onions are soft (5 minutes), add apple cider vinegar. Then add garlic and sauté for about a minute. Add chicken back into the pot.
- Blend the beef broth, spices, chipotles, and tomatoes.
- Pour the sauce over chicken and onions. Simmer for about 25 minutes until the chicken easily falls apart and shreds.
- Now you’re ready to make the quesadilla! Spray your pan. Dip the tortilla in the sauce (one side) and add (dry side down) to a griddle or skillet. Add shredded chicken and shredded cheese. Dip another tortilla (one side) and add to the top. Press with your spatula then flip over.
- Top with red onions and cilantro. Enjoy!
- You could skip the quesadilla step and just make this an easy chicken adobo recipe, which would be delicious in so many ways!! It’s really about the sauce.
More easy dinner recipes + tips
- Keep all of your favorite recipes and create a grocery list with Paprika, hands-down the best meal planning app
- Inexpensive kitchen gadgets that get dinner on the table faster
- A genius trick for figuring out kids meals for picky eaters
- The best cheap meal prep containers for pre-made snacks and lunches
- 18 healthy breakfast ideas to jumpstart your day
- Recipe ideas to make with leftover chicken
- Useful skinny measuring spoons that fit in jars