Fitting in breakfast can be a struggle, especially if you’re not a morning person. However, having breakfast is a healthy way to start your day, especially if you’re trying to lose weight. If you have kids, you don’t have time to scramble eggs while you’re scrambling to get out of the door. The key is being prepared with healthy options that require little to no preparation in the morning. So, here is a round-up of healthy breakfast ideas. Most of these you can make ahead so you’re ready for the morning rush.
If you want to lose weight, don’t skip breakfast
Eating breakfast has many health benefits. According to WebMD, “Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, helping you burn calories throughout the day. It also gives you the energy you need to get things done and helps you focus at work or at school.” If you’re intermittent fasting, breakfast is not the meal to skip. In a Good Morning America interview, researcher Courtney Peterson said, “The studies where people skip breakfast and lunch and only eat dinner show either no benefit or their health got worse, specifically blood sugar and blood pressure and cholesterol.”
Plus, Weight Watchers asserts breakfast is a dieter’s secret weapon. WW notes that breakfast eaters tend to snack less. You’re also are less likely to overeat later in the day to make up for skipping your first meal.
Breakfast prep tips
- Make a desk breakfast if you don’t have the time in the morning to eat before your commute. These are the best meal prep containers you can use for your favorite breakfast on the go.
- Use Paprika, the best meal planning app, to create a meal calendar, save recipes, and make a grocery list.
- Prep your breakfast while you’re making dinner the night prior.
Healthy breakfast ideas
- Plain Chobani yogurt + fruit (or make a cute muffin tin granola cup!)
- Bagel thins + salmon + red onion + capers + cream cheese
- Egg scramble with veggies
- Overnight Oats
- Simple fruit & nut breakfast bowls
- Fancy breakfast berry toast
- Make ahead this healthy breakfast casserole
- Freezer breakfast burritos
- Healthy Smoothie
- Cinnamon quinoa breakfast bowl
- Huevos Rancheros
- Simple Mills pancake and waffle mix is delicious & easy
- Gluten-free apple and oat muffins
- Savory breakfast bowl (you could do this with veggie leftovers)
- Overnight vegetarian strata
- Mini egg muffins with spinach
- Healthy breakfast tacos
- Make a cool healthy breakfast charcuterie board (or make a to-go version like the Starbucks boxes with nut butter, a boiled egg, and fruit)
What healthy things do you make for breakfast?? Share your healthy breakfast ideas in the comments! We could all use some inspiration!