Ok, foodie parents. I have a story for you. Here’s how I decided to give up my gourmet mom-chef aspirations and make the tasty but super easy grilled buffalo chicken sandwich for dinner.
It’s Thursday. I have no plan for dinner. As I begin the internal “why am I not more organized” battle with my brain – which is full of details like a packing list for the middle school retreat and work projects and Covid statistics – I think back to my grocery store trip on Sunday. I strolled though the grocery store without a plan, and here I am without a plan for dinner.
“Next week! Next week, I will be better!” … this is pretty much my thought mid-week for the 520+ weeks I’ve been a parent.
The thing that holds me back is I LOVE food. I just don’t love to make the food I want to eat. I google for ideas. Pinterest. EVERY RECIPE that pops up involves all sorts of spices and ingredients and even if I do have them in my pantry… I Just. Don’t. Want. To. Do. It.
Just give me the pre-made sauces and the spice mixes and the EASY way to make dinner, bloggers! Why does everything have to be so complicated? I’m not a chef.
So, here’s what I made: grilled chicken with buffalo sauce on a bun. It was ridiculously easy, tasty, and used up fancy brioche buns I had from burger night.
Store-bought, friends! That’s the answer. Everything doesn’t need to be from scratch.
Throwing this into the weekly rotation because it was a crowd-pleaser!
- Buffalo Sauce (I prefer Frank’s!)
- Chicken Breast (I like tenderloins)
- Olive Oil
- Kinder’s The Blend Seasoning (or just salt and pepper)
- Good Buns (Brioche, if you’re feeling fancy)
- Optional: Ranch
- 1. Brush chicken with olive oil and seasoning, then douse in the hot sauce.
- 2. Grill how you normally grill chicken (I like tenderloins on hot for about 4 minutes, then flip for another few minutes) - the Weber app is a great resource on best grilling times.
- 3. Butter or olive oil your buns, grill for about a minute until they are toasted but not burned.
- 4. Chop up the chicken, add more hot sauce if you like, and layer on the grilled bun. Add your favorite toppings (lettuce and ranch for me!) Enjoy!
You can also make this as a teriyaki chicken sandwich for anyone who doesn’t love Buffalo or spice!
Leftovers for lunch the next day, using my favorite meal prep container + sauce containers
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
More easy dinner ideas: