When you have friends over for wine and appetizers, you don’t want to be preoccupied with a complicated recipe. Here’s an easy one for you that’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser: ricotta toast drizzled with hot honey and walnuts for crunch. If you can toast and spread cheese, you can master this recipe. You can leave the hot honey out (or regular honey!) and let your guests drizzle it themselves.
Hot honey is what it’s named: honey that’s hot, sweet with spice. The combination of sweet with a kick is perfect for so many foods – Brussels sprouts, biscuits, chicken, and of course – ricotta toast! Here are a few to try:
- AR’s Hot Southern Honey: I picked this up at the Charleston Wine + Food festival and love it! It has enough heat to give each bite a kick, but not overwhelming.
- Mike’s Hot Honey is the OG and you can probably find this in your grocery store
- Charleston-based brand Red Clay Hot Sauce has a couple of hot honey options, including peach!
More Ricotta Toast Ideas
- Grilled Veggie + Ricotta Toast
- Basil + Sliced Tomato + Bacon
- Figs + Walnuts
- Sautéed mushrooms
Ricotta Toast + Wine Pairings
An appetizer this mild could pair with pretty much any wine you’re in the mood to drink. For an afternoon, you just can’t go wrong with a dry rosè which will compliment the salt and the sweet and the heat, or a sparkling wine. Or a sparkling rosè!
- Sparkling wines to try with this appetizer: Mumm Napa Brut Rose ($17) • Gloria Ferrer Sonoma Brut ($17) • if you’re feeling fancy, go for champagne like Veuve Cliquot Yellow Label Brut Champagne ($36) • Francis Coppola Sofia Mini Brut Rosè Wine in cans are the BEST!! ($15.99 from Target) • read our best sparkling wine recommendations
- Rosè recommendations from Target: Josh Rosè ($14.99) • Meiomi Rosé Wine ($19.99) • read more rosè brands to try
- Or if you’re in the mood for a white, try a Fume Blanc like the Ferrari Carano Fume Blanc, which is $14.99 from Target and has a screw cap for easy outdoor entertaining
- Sliced Baguette
- Ricotta Cheese
- Hot Honey
- Crushed Walnuts
- Broil the oven, and toast baguettes.
- Spread the ricotta on each slice, then sprinkle walnuts and drizzle honey.