Summer camp!! Sleeping in a sleeping bag, living in a cabin, exploring the outdoors, living digital-free, meeting new friends – I knew he would have a blast… but I also had some questions. If you’re about to send yours off for the first time, this should make you feel better!
Will he shower? Not convinced, but he came back happy and not sick.
Will he change his clothes? Also not convinced, the ratio of worn clothes v. not worn clothes doesn’t quite match up to the number of days he attended.
Will he get homesick? Yep, on day 3… but…
Will he get over being homesick quickly? Also yes, a sweet counselor talked to him and he got over it.
Will he make friends? yes! So many!
Will he have fun? A blast!! He wants to go back next year.
How we packed for summer camp
Our camp provided a detailed packing list, which was helpful. Here’s how we packed his gear –
- A large bin
- Amazon Basics small packing cubes for a different outfit each day (including socks and underpants) with a note for each day plus larger packing cubes for extra clothes, swim, rain jackets, etc.
- Deet-free bug spray (I think he sprayed it all over himself the first day and then forgot about it)
- We used Mabel’s Labels machine washable name label stickers to stick on everything from clothes to toothpaste – we ordered the camp pack, which includes machine washable tag stickers for clothing. A few of his t-shirts didn’t have tags, but we didn’t get the iron-on labels for those.
- Laundry bag for dirty clothes
- Plastic bags for all toiletries
Our happy camper the day we picked him up:
Are you sending yours off to camp this year? Feel free to ask me questions in the comments!